Pain perdu, or "lost bread" in English, is a classic French breakfast or brunch dish that was originally created to repurpose stale bread. By soaking the bread in a decadent mixture of eggs, milk, cream, and our premium vanilla paste, the once-dry bread becomes moist and infused with rich, aromatic vanilla flavor. Our version of this beloved dish features three varieties of vanilla, making it the perfect indulgence for any vanilla lover. Spoil your friends and loved ones with our mouthwatering Pain perdu French toast, guaranteed to become the talk of the town. Serve it with maple syrup, fruit compote, or powdered sugar to add an extra touch of sweetness to this already irresistible dish. Treat yourself to a delicious breakfast experience that you won't forget!
- 2-4 Thick slices of Bread
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Armagnac
- 1 Tsp 3-Bean Blend Whole Vanilla Paste
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, sugar, Armagnac, and vanilla paste until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the bread in dish or tray that is just large enough to hold the bread in a single layer.
- Pour custard in and let bread soak up the desired amount of custard.
- Add the butter to a cast-iron skillet and heat over medium heat.
- When the butter has melted add the bread and fry until it's well browned on one side (about 5 minutes) flip and repeat.
- Put a few spoonfuls of our Tahitian Vanilla Sugar in a food processor and pulse until powdered, then dust your French toast with homemade powdered Tahitian vanilla sugar.
- Garnish with whipped cream & strawberries.